Branching Out seeks to strengthen Taranaki's future as an emerging food basket of New Zealand.
The New Zealand avocado industry is vibrant and growing, with a vision and strategy in place to quadruple sales to $280m per annum and triple productivity by 2023. Already a proven success story in other parts of the country, setting up an avocado orchard in Taranaki is worth consideration.
Venture Taranaki's Branching Out project held a community event for landowners and investors to explore the viability of the region sustaining the avocado value chain. We invited nurseries, packhouse operators, and exporters to share their knowledge of the industry and how Taranaki may be positioned to join the avocado producing sector of New Zealand.
You can find the contact details for the organisations and their presentations below.
The representatives stepped through the various factors aspiring avocado considerers should be aware of before entering into orchard ownership. This included the future global demand for avocado, the potential risks and returns of orchard ownership, insights from a grower who had their own west-coast orchard, as well as busting the myths that had stopped people pursuing this opportunity recently.
Venture Taranaki's Branching Out project seeks to strengthen Taranaki's future as an emerging food basket of New Zealand. This project encourages the region to consider diverse and complementary forms of land use, investment in innovative enterprises, and delivery of consumer-focused products to market. This projects success will result in added wealth to Taranaki’s economy and help our existing food and fibre sector become more resilient, innovative and in-demand.
Trevelyan’s Pack and Cool
Providers of quality growing, picking, packing, cool storage and technical support for the avocado industry, delivering consistently competitive OGRs per hectare to our growers, and enjoy doing it!
Land Use Register
The Branching Out project is looking to connect with landowners, and investors who may be considering complementary and / diverse uses for their land. By adding your details to this register we can:
- Link you with other like-minded landowners or producers based on geographical location, growing conditions or opportunity.
- Understand the amount of land potentially available across our region.
- Invite growing groups (like Zespri) to the region to promote growing opportunities in new sectors.
- Recommend or share relevant information that may assist you on your journey.
- Keep you in the loop to present opportunities to diversify into other, complementary land uses based on geographical location or land suitability.
- Understand the regional potential for specific opportunities.