Venture Taranaki attracts, hosts, and invests in Major Events on behalf of the Taranaki region.
Major events have the potential to bring economic, social, cultural, and marketing exposure benefits to the District.
New Plymouth District Council has created the major event fund to achieve the above benefits and position New Plymouth as a highly competitive and desirable destination for hosting major events.
The strategic criteria for supporting major events are based around four areas:
- Economic gains (attracting national and international visitor spend)
- Social and cultural benefits (positively profiling New Plymouth and upholding the attributes of the Taranaki brand)
- National and international marketing exposure
- General event benefits
Key goals of the fund include:
- The retention of existing sustainable events,
- The growth of new and existing events, and
- The attraction of new major events to the New Plymouth District. Only events held within the New Plymouth District are eligible for funding.
Funding decisions will be made by Venture Taranaki Trust in accordance with the strategic criteria and key goals of the fund, as agreed between the Trust and New Plymouth District Council.
A major event is defined as: An event of national, cultural, social, and economic significance.
In December 2005 the New Plymouth District Council endorsed the following key principles:
The council confirms that it seeks to support the Taranaki Tourism Strategy through the attraction and development of major events which add value to the local economy and boost the region’s unique profile, noting that an investment of $1.2 million in events in 2004/05 returned up to $23.16 million in additional expenditure to the region.
In particular, the Council encourages:
- Major events which have the impact and profile necessary to change local, national and international perceptions about New Plymouth District, forming part of a coordinated marketing strategy and contributing to a vibrant community.
- Major events which attract domestic and international visitors in sufficient numbers to support the realisation of the Visitor Strategy’s goals for visitor nights and expenditure, therefore contributing to a prosperous community.
- Major events which strongly reflect the values of the ‘Taranaki - like no other’ brand and become inextricably linked to their location.
- Major events which utilise the Council’s major event venues, helping to ensure their viability and meet their revenue targets.
- Major events which help to address seasonal gaps in visitor numbers, therefore contributing to a more sustainable tourism industry.
Funding Application: how and when to apply
Applicants for major event funding are invited to submit an application to Venture Taranaki by completing the application form.
- The application process will open mid Jan and close 25 February 2024.
- If you own or manage a significant event with the potential to bring economic, social, cultural, and marketing exposure benefits to the Taranaki region, we encourage you to apply for funding.
- To apply for funding, you need to prepare all the necessary information and documentation in advance. This includes details about your event's purpose, target audience, proposed dates, venue, expected attendance, marketing plan, budget, and potential community benefits.
- To be eligible for funding your event must be delivered within the 2024/2025 financial year, 1 July 2024 - 30 June 2025.
- Complete the application form, upload the required documents, and provide all relevant information. To be considered for the funding, you will need to submit your application within the 6-week period.
- Once the application period ends, Venture Taranaki will carefully review each proposal.
- Successful applicants will be notified of their funding approval, and will be guided through the funding agreement process, including terms and conditions, contracting, reporting requirements, and payment arrangements.
- A formal response will be sent to all applicants via email about the status of their application on 11 March 2024.
- Funding will be allocated on a staged basis, typically:
- on the signing of the contract
- on commencement of promotional campaign
- when the event occurs
- on receipt of a post-event analysis by Venture Taranaki.
- All events funded will be required to provide a full statistical analysis post-event, including ticket sale/attendee information, international/national visitor breakdowns, media coverage obtained, and all benefits or otherwise obtained from the event.